Kerry Fraser - Stories from a legendary NHL Referee
December 05, 2019
When your NHL career consists of 1904 regular season games, 12 Stanley Cup Finals and over 261 playoff games - you’re going to have some stories to tell.
Our guest today on the WeLive.Hockey podcast is Kerry Fraser, one of the most famous and tenured referees in NHL history. We had the chance to sit down with him at the Peconic Hockey Foundation’s annual Legends invitational golf outing at the Sebonic golf club on Eastern Long Island.
In this episode, you’ll hear about Fraser’s journey from aspiring hockey player to the NHL Referee training camp, stories from his time in the game and h is thoughts on officiating today and where it will be going in the future.
In this episode you'll hear about:
- Fraser's start in the game as a player and official
- How a run in with a young Wayne Gretzky changed the trajectory of his career
- Why he values respect on the ice and how he displayed that with Rick Tocchet and Bryan Murray
- His thoughts on the current state of officiating and his keys to being an effective referee in today's sports
- An incredibly funny story about a player that thanked him for a penalty
- Much more!
Make sure to pick up a copy of Fraser's book "The Final Call: Stories from a Legend in Stripes" which is available wherever books are sold.
If you’d like more information on the Peconic Hockey foundation and their mission to grow the game on eastern long island, visit their website, PeconicHockey.org
Thanks for your support and shares! Please make sure to subscribe to the welive.hockey podcast wherever you consume them.
Eliminated Indefinitely - The Metropolitan Division
June 11, 2020 by Katelynn Reiss
We answer the question of what the 2020 NHL teams did during the quarantine...
Puckdrop Episode 12: The NHL's Return To Play Discussion
May 28, 2020 by Katelynn Reiss
The NHL released a their plans to finish the 2020-21 season with a 24-team playoff series. Lee dives into the plan and discusses it with our...